The Underwater Homeowners Association aims to generate awareness on rising sea levels, and engage Floridians to take action against climate change by providing a space where homeowners can address its impending impacts. Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of every month at the Hibiscus Gallery in Pinecrest Gardens.
with Alberto Cairo, Ph.D., Author, Lecturer, and Professor at the University of Miami School of Communication
with Xavier Cortada, Artist & Underwater HOA Founder
with Brian Soden, Ph.D., professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
with Hunter Vaughan, Ph.D., Author, media scholar, and Environmental Media Scholar-in-Residence at University of Colorado Boulder
with Landolf Rhode-Barbarigos, Ph.D., Assistant Professor at the Department of Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering, University of Miami School of Engineering.
with Sonia Chao, Professor and Director of the Center for Urban & Community Design, University of Miami School of Architecture.
with Dr. Ben Kirtman, Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.
Cortada Projects is excited to be bringing the UHOA to an online platform where it will provide a space for the community to come together, reflect on our collective situation, and work together for a brighter future.
Exploring how we can use the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day to mobilize people to prepare and plan for the impacts of climate change in the 50 years to come.
Discussion and presentation on the future of flood insurance in the era of sea level rise and climate change.
Join artist Xavier Cortada and community members in a discussion to reflect on the last year of Underwater HOA’s activities.
Below you can find the links to the event pages of each monthly meeting in 2019.
- January 9, 2019 – Inaugural Meeting at the Hibiscus Gallery
- February 6, 2019 – Equitable Solutions
- March 6, 2019 – Water & Sewer Infrastructure
- April 4, 2019 – Tiffany Troxler, Director of Science for the Sea Level Solutions Center
- May 1, 2019 – Net-Zero Water Projects
- June 5, 2019 – Miami Climate Month
- July 27, 2019 – Underwater Climate Rally
- August 7, 2019 – Brian Haus, University of Miami Chair of Ocean Sciences
- September 4, 2019 – LCV to Cortada Projects
- October 2, 2019 – Focus Group on Resilient 305
- November 6, 2019 – Katharine Mach, University of Miami Climate Scientist
- December 5, 2019 – Underwater HOA at UNTITLED, ART Fair’s “Futurescape Miami: Skyline to Shoreline”